The Four Chaplains Memorial Foundations mission is to tell the story of the “Four Chaplains” to promote Interfaith Cooperation and Selfless Service in individuals and organizations. The mission of the Corporation is to encourage selfless service in the tradition of The Four Chaplains and to teach and promote interfaith understanding and cooperation among all peoples. Accordingly, the motto of the Corporation is “Unity without Uniformity”.
GEORGE L. FOX
ALEXANDER D. GOODE
CLARK V. POLING
JOHN P. WASHINGTON
WHO ARE THE FOUR CHAPLAINS?
In the early morning hours of 3 February 1943, the U.S.A.T. Dorchester was crowded to capacity, carrying 902 servicemen, merchant seamen, and civilian workers. Once a luxury coastal liner, the 5,649-ton vessel had been converted into an Army transport ship. The Dorchester, one of three ships in the SG-19 convoy, was moving steadily across the icy waters from Newfoundland toward an American base in Greenland. SG-19 was escorted by Coast Guard Cutters Tampa, Escanaba, and Comanche.
Lost at Sea Memorial
We would like to thank all of our Members and Friends of the Chapel who have purchased bricks for our Lost at Sea Memorial. Currently, the original design of the Memorial has reached it’s capacity. Once we get approval to expand the Monument we will reinstate the donor function. Thank You. Questions call:
Armed Forces Day Open House
On May 15 the Chapel of Four Chaplains will be celebrating it’s 70th Anniversary on Armed Forces Day. Please join us for our “Lost at Sea” Memorial brick dedication ceremony (outdoors) at 12:00 – 1:00. From 1:00-4:00 Mission BBQ will be onsite. Afterwards we will be hosting a Chapel Open House and Mission BBQ will be onsite. Enjoy some BBQ under our large tent and visit the Chapel. Cost for BBQ: $20 non-member $15 Member $10 Children under 18 and Guests of our Sponsors Free.
SUPPORT THE FOUNDATION
Since the late 1940’s the Chapel of the Four Chaplains has been telling the story of the Four Chaplains and encouraging selfless sacrifice and interfaith cooperation. On February 15, 2001, the Chapel of the Four Chaplains moved to 1201 Constitution Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19112 the site of a 1942 World War II Navy Chapel.